Child Safe Standards
Bendigo Basketball is committed to supporting affiliated Clubs-Associations-Associations to create safe and inclusive environments for all children.
The Victorian State Government has introduced compulsory minimum standards to help protect children from all forms of abuse and will apply to organisations that provide services for children. This is a new legislation and Clubs-Associations-Associations that provide cultural, sport or recreation services for children are required to comply.
From 1 January 2017, the Child Safe Standards will apply to sporting organisations that operate and provide sporting services to children within Victoria
Clubs-Associations need to demonstrate that they understand the new Standards and are taking steps to comply.
Bendigo Basketball encourages all Clubs-Associations to utilise the resources below to ensure they are compliant with the new legislation and making child safety a priority.
What are the Standards?
1. Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
2. A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
3. A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
4. Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
5. Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
6. Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
7. Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
Each of the standards must be understood and applied in the context of:
- Promoting the cultural safety of Aboriginal children.
- Promoting the cultural safety of children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse back
- Promoting the safety of children with a disability
Support & Resources
Handy Links & Information
· Child Abuse Royal Commission - Website
· Commission for Children & Young People - Website
· Obtaining a Working with Children Check - Website
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Rebecca Smith, Competitions Coordinator Bendigo Basketball, telephone 03 5440 6221 or email email@example.com