Imagine watching your favourite basketball team play a game with no timer, no scoreboard or no stat sheet. You wouldn’t know if they were winning, how much time was left to play nor how many points your favourite player scored!
In basketball, it is the scoretable officials that keep the score and time. In local competitions, it may be done by parents, or even the teams themselves. However, in higher grades, specialised scoretable officials will perform the roles of the Scoretable Official In higher level games, there are 5 specific scoretable positions:
– Assistant Scorer
– 24-second shot clock operator Scoretable officials work as a team with the referees to maintain the scoring and timekeeping of the game. The basic duties of each scoretable position are:
– Chairperson: Ensure the smooth operation on the scoretable and communicates with the referees.
– Scorer: Completes the scoresheet.
– Assistant Scorer: This position is not always required but when present will assist with operating the scoreboard.
– Timekeeper: Operate the game clock and in most situations also operate the scoreboard.
– 24-second shot clock operator: Operate the shot clock by stopping and resetting according to the rules. In high-level basketball teams have a maximum of 24 seconds to attempt a shot once they obtain possession of the ball. If they miss a shot but are able to rebound (catch) the ball, they are given another 14 seconds to attempt a shot. This 24 or 14-second count is displayed on a separate display to the scoreboard, which is operated by the “shot clock” operator. In most games at a community level, a shot clock is not used.
Why become a scoretable official?
Just like referees, there are many reasons why people might become a scoretable official. Most scoretable officials are fans of the game who enjoy being involved at the local level. They become scoretable officials to support basketball and the teams they love. Being a scoretable official does not require the same level of fitness and mobility that is needed to be a referee so scoretable can be a great way to stay connected to the game.